Scientific Director (Bedford, MA)
The Bedford Research Foundation is seeking a scientific director to lead its program to derive parthenogenetic stem cells from unfertilized human eggs. Experience with human eggs and stem cell derivation is required. Proven success in obtaining grant funding and a strong publication record are also required.
Contact: jobs [a] bedfordresearch.org
Bedford Research Foundation is a 20-year old not-for-profit 501(c)(3) research institution in Massachusetts that was founded to conduct research that cannot be funded with federal dollars. It is a stable, independently funded, research environment with its own Ethics Advisory Board, Human Subjects Committee, Embryonic Stem Cell Research Oversight Committee and Animal Care and Use Committee.
Scientist, PhD in cellular, reproductive or regenerative medicine, or related science field.
The Bedford Research Foundation is a unique not-for-profit organization dedicated to finding patient treatments and cures through stem cell research and derivation. BRF is funded through private, individual donations, with no government funding. The Foundation exists to meet the needs of patients and the scientific community that are not being met through the traditional research channels. We need a scientist who is able to come into a small laboratory setting and see all of the possibilities of working outside of a traditional academic or commercial environment.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
- Published research papers, experience designing and completing research projects, and a positive, dedicated attitude to getting work done. Able to collect, record, analyze, maintain, synthesize & write up findings for regular publication submission.
- Established relationships with science laboratories and individuals in the Boston/Northeast community.
- Experience managing day to day activities of a laboratory, its staff and equipment . Sufficient skills to strategically plan research activities for up to five years.
- Able to make research presentations to funding partners, other scientists, conferences and individuals of interest to BRF.
- Experience organizing research teams to carry out specific projects & achieve set goals.
- Knowledge of or experience in Good Laboratory Practices, microarray analyses, circadian rhythm systems a plus.
- Overcoming obstacles that many small businesses have, such as budgeting & management of staff, while achieving critical goals.
- Able to act as team and lab leader not afraid to challenge traditional methods of research; able to take collaborative direction from the Senior Scientist and allow time for change.
- Knowledgable of and current in the literature of advances in the reproductive, stem cell, and regenerative medicine fields.
- Able to troubleshoot laboratory equipment and find solutions to equipment, protocol, and reagent problems. Ability to map out solutions using the knowledge and resources at hand.
- Critical tasks to be carried out in this position. Overseeing:
- parthenote growth, and characterization,
- prostatitis research and experiment design
- HIV and infectious disease research, and IVF techniques and data gathering
- PCR bench work and protocols
- We are specifically hiring for 2nd shift hours, from approximately 2:30-6:30pm weekdays, and Saturdays on weekends
TO APPLY: Email CV and letter of intent to jobs(at)bedfordresearch.org
The Foundation is always in need of fundraising and development volunteer help. If you would like to get involved and help us change the pace of progress – email: volunteers (a) bedfordresearch.org. Thank you!